Traveling to Martha’s Vineyard
Please call us for assistance with travel information to and on the island.
- FERRY SERVICES:
- The Steamship Authority operates year ’round from Woods Hole, MA on Cape Cod. It is the only car-carrying ferry to the island and the primary passenger ferry. Advance auto reservations highly suggested. Passenger reservations are not taken.
- Seasonal passenger ferries operate from New York City, Quonset Point, RI, New Bedford, MA, Falmouth, MA, and Hyannis, MA. There is also limited inter-island passenger ferry service between Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket. Passenger reservations are taken on all except the Island Queen from Falmouth.
- AIR SERVICE: Regular direct airline service to the island, year ’round, from major metropolitan areas.
- BUS SERVICE: Available year ’round from downtown Boston, Providence and New York metropolitan areas, as well as from major airports, to Woods Hole via Peter Pan Bus Lines.
- AUTO RENTALS and BICYCLE RENTALS are both available on the island. We can coordinate rentals for our guests. Advance reservations are suggested for auto rentals.
- ELECTRIC CAR CHARGING: We have both TESLA and Clipper Creek charging stations.
- PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION operates on the island year ’round but most extensively from May thru October. There is a year ’round shuttle bus stop on the street in front of Thorncroft Inn. The system will take you to all major points on the island and it is frequent and inexpensive.
- TAXIS meet all incoming ferries and planes. Taxi service is available to all points on the island.
Directions to the Inn
BY CAR: From the Vineyard Haven ferry dock you will be directed to the left onto Water Street. Proceed to the stop sign in the five corner intersection and take a right. Take the next right onto Main Street. Thorncroft Inn is one mile up at 460 Main Street. Look for our sign on the left.
From the seasonal Oak Bluffs ferry dock, go straight off the dock and straight ahead thru the intersection at the head of the ferry dock. You are now on the road to Vineyard Haven. Proceed two miles on this main road, which is clearly marked. As you enter Vineyard Haven, you will see a Citgo gas station on the left as you enter the five corner intersection. Bear slightly to the left thru the intersection. Take your next right onto Main Street and we are located at 460 Main Street, one mile up on the left.
BY FOOT: If you are walking from the Vineyard Haven ferry dock, proceed straight ahead up Union Street. Take right onto Main Street. Go one mile up Main Street and we are on the left. Unless you have light luggage, it would be simpler and easier to take a taxi, which meet every incoming ferry.